The Benefits of Doing Nothing ….
Relaxation is so important for your mental health and overall wellbeing. It is important to find time for you and look after yourself by, well, just doing nothing.
People who are able to relax are more likely to bounce back from tough times, tend to be happier, have better physical health and are less likely to develop mental health difficulties.
Relaxation slows down the heart rate and decreases stress levels. People who relax regularly show reductions in psychological distress such as depression, and anxiety.
Being stressed for long periods of time puts lots of stress on our bodies, especially on our adrenal glands & our hearts. Make it a habit to relax regularly and you can do this by relaxing in the bath, walking in the woods, cycling and running are like ‘moving meditation’ for some or just sit in quiet and listen to some music. Talking your body out of the ‘have to do’ cycle is so important to re-group & re-charge.
Getting a good nights sleep is important to ensure that we’re functioning our best throughout the day. Sleep is our healing time and long term effects of lack of sleep are huge on the system.
All our products at Living Better Health Superfoods have a healing property and were all used in its Founders Health Clinic for many years, before she packaged the products to make them available for individual use.
Ashwagandha is an Avyrvedic medicine, which is also known as “winter cherry” or “Indian ginseng”, this plant has been used in traditional medicine for more than 3,000 years and is believed to be able to impart long life and give a youthful vigor to the skin.
Its potent antioxidant capacity by fighting free radicals and reducing cellular damage helps to protect the skin. It also has a moisturizing effect which contributes to preventing premature aging process by firming up your skin for a younger-looking more yourthful appearance. Its calming & rejuventating effect on the bodywill assist in helping you get a good nights sleep.
Other benefits of Ashwagandha are:
1. Great for those battling stress, as it inhibits high levels of cortisol, ‘the stress hormone’.
2. The results, published in the Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine show that Ashwagandha helps promote relaxation as it is a natural adaptogen.
3. Ashwagandha is also used as an aphrodisiac as well, since it supports sexual health.
4. If you have any hormonal issues, then Ashwagandha is the product for you. It acts on the Endocrine system encouraging hormonal balance. Some studies have suggest reduction in symptoms such as hot flashes and mood swings during your monthly cycle or menopause.
5. Because of it’s calming effect, it can be extremely benefical in treating Insomina. Calming down the nervous system, which eases stress and gets rid of sleeplessness.
The best way to take Ashwagandha is to add it to your smoothie in the morning or with a warm milk alterative and honey before you go to bed.
Congratulations, you have completed this amazing goal.
Running a marathon is an amazing feeling, but it takes a toll on both your muscles and your immune system if you do not take care of your body post-run.
Many people can suffer from serious fatigue in the days following, and report cold and flu like symptoms, with recent studies showing that 7-10 days rest after a marathon is needed. To help this process, we need to provide the body with the hydration & nutrients it needs to replenish and repair itself. Focusing on eating healthy & nutrient rich foods.
Also makes sure you
– Soak in hot bath with Epsom Salts if possible for at least 15 minutes.
– Stretch out well after your race
– A deep tissue massage will also help the muscles
Our sports relief bundle can provide a range of much needed vitamins & minerals to help you through this recovery phase. This bundle is specially designed to give your body what is needs at its recovery stage. Adding the powders to meals, juices or smoothies is a quick and easy way to up your intake of nutrients.
Hemp Protein Powder
A highly concentrated source of protein, delays fatigue during exercise and acts as the fuel that muscles burn for energy
Improves performance and provides a quicker recovery from exercise returning your heart rate to normal.
Its high protein content it is useful for building muscle and strength. Its effect on balancing the bodies blood sugar levels aiding recovery.
Promote energy while promoting adrenal functionality. A natural mood enhancer, with respect to athletes’ needs Maca has been shown to improve stamina and reduce the onset of exercise-induced soreness.
Click on to the link below to access this bundle
Most of us never consider the acid/alkaline balance of our blood, but a proper pH is a crucial aspect to health. Our bodies like to maintain a blood pH of around 7.4, on the pH scale this is slightly alkaline.
So what is pH ?
The pH stands for ‘Potential of Hydrogen’. It is a measure of acidity or alkalinity of our body’s fluids and tissues. Its scale runs from 0 to 14, the lower the number the more acidic, the higher the more alkaline. A pH of 7 is perfectly neutral.
One of the main ways our bodies maintain our internal pH is through the kidneys. They filter out any excessive acids in our system and excrete them in urine. Our kidneys also maintain our electrolyte level, these are minerals that include calcium, chloride, magnesium, phosphate, potassium, and sodium, which are present in your blood, body fluids, and urine.
When we are exposed to acid substances, these electrolytes are used to combat the acidity. So a high degree of acidity forces our bodies to take the minerals from our bones, cells, tissues and organs which leave them deficient in enough minerals to properly dispose of waste or oxygenate completely. Toxins and pathogens accumulate in the body and the immune system becomes suppressed.
Unfortunately, keeping your body alkaline is the opposite to the Western diet. Many people start their day with coffee followed by toast and jam or cereal, and these surges of sugar keep us in the need for ‘more of same’ to keep us going throughout the day, snacking on convenience food with large proportions of meat – all of which are acid-forming.
At Living Better Health Superfoods our new product, called Green Blend Ph7, ‘The Alkaliser’, addresses this very issue. We are looking to give you a quick and easy solution to health which can be achievable within a busy schedule.
Here are some great blends recipes which will really help you to alkalise your body.
10 top tips to help you feel more energised
1. SLEEP – This is the big one at the top of my 10 and it may sound obvious but yet can be the one that’s most overlooked. The recommendation is to get 7-9 hours of quality sleep a night for your body to feel completely energised. Try going to bed an hour earlier and reading something lighthearted to allow your mind to calm down.
2. JUST SAY ‘NO’ – Saying no once in a while can help you to recharge your batteries and to prioritise your own energy, rather than giving it away to someone else.
3. KEEP YOUR WATER TANK TOPPED UP – ‘Hydro Coach’ is a free, quick and easy app to use. You can synchronise it with your fitness tracker to help boost your fluid intake. Dehydration can cause low energy.
4. BREATHE DEEP – Try the 4-7-8 technique. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound. Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of 4. Hold your breath for a count of 7. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of 8. This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of 4 breaths.
5. CULTIVATE GRATITUDE – Try to find something to think or feel thankful for on a daily basis, even something small can make a huge difference to turn your day around, on any level. Focusing on what you have, rather than what you don’t have, can be positively uplifting.
6.THE GREAT OUTDOORS – We often spend too much of our lives these days cooped up indoors in closed spaces moving from the house, car and office then back to the car and house. Try to make time in any part of your day to get out into the open. Walking, even if the weather might not be so good, can be moving meditation allowing you to shed the unwanted baggage so you can pick up the luggage that you need for the day as you travel lighter.
7. GET YOUR MOJO BACK – Music is a great way to get things back on a high note when you are feeling a bit flat. Try finding a song you like to listen to that makes you smile, sing and dance, to re activate the joy inside you.
8. DO SOMETHING SPONTANEOUS – Try doing something on the spur of the moment and come away from the normal daily routine to put a bit of sparkle back into your life. You could plan something new and make it fun, like eating something you normally wouldn’t eat.
9. TALK WITH A GOOD FRIEND – Whether it is with an old or new friend, sharing with someone can be a great way to lift your energy and mood. Being around happy, motivating people can be an extremely powerful and positive thing. Look for radiators in your life rather than those who will drain you! Be gentle and kind on yourself by keeping good company.
10. DRINK SOMETHING HEALTHY & ENERGISING – Try our recommended ‘Chiaful Cherry Explosion’ Energiser superfoods blend.
- 1½ cups almonds
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1½ cup dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp maca powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Blend nuts until finely ground, add cacao and salt and mix.
- Add dates one at a time to nuts in blender while it is running to reach crumb mixture that holds together when pressed
- In a large bowl, combine date/nut mixture with remaining ingredients and place in fridge for 20 mins to cool
- Once chilled, roll mixture into bite sized balls and allow to cool before stacking in air-tight container for storage
- Place in fridge/freezer until ready to serve
It seems that 2015 has gone passed in a blink of an eye with it only seems like yesterday that we were enjoying the sunshine and now the cold weather is upon us, with the Met office predictions that it is going to be a freezing Winter, it’s important to boost your immune system and have your cabinet full of healthy remedies to keep colds, flu and fevers at bay.
The Baobab tree is a truly amazing sight to see. Found in Africa, this amazing new Superfood is on its way up.
Most of the potential health benefits of Baobab fruit powder and its fresh counterpart have been largely attributed to the unusually high levels of vitamin C this exotic superfood contains.
A 100 gram serving of baobab fruit pulp has been reported to contain up to 500 milligrams of vitamin C, that’s nearly 10 times the amount of vitamin C found in an equivalent serving of fresh oranges. In fact, baobab is considered one of the very best food sources of vitamin C in the world.
1. Baobab Fruit’s Benefits for the Skin
Foods rich in vitamin C are a cornerstone for a strong immune system and healthy, young looking skin. Vitamin C helps your body form collagen and elastin, two structural proteins that give your skin support and elasticity. In addition to being a completely natural Vitamin C source, the baobab fruit has been shown to possess strong antioxidant properties which neutralize free radicals, unstable atoms and molecules that can cause damage to your body increasing the risk of degenerative diseases and other signs of aging.
2. Baobab to Support Your Weight Loss Efforts
Adding vitamin C rich foods to your diet might also enhance your body’s fat burning capabilities during a workout. The potential weight loss effects of vitamin C may be linked to the fact that it is needed for the production of carnitine, a compound that encourages your body to turn fat into fuel.
What’s more, the baobab fruit may also help overweight or obese people promote weight loss by reducing appetite and cravings, and by keeping the fat-storing hormone insulin under control.
3. Baobab to Support Heart Health & Circulation
Foods that supply your body with plenty of vitamin C may also help keep your heart and overall cardiovascular system healthy.
Vitamin C is needed for the manufacturing of collagen and elastic which help keep veins strong and toned, plus it can help boost circulation within the body. The positive effects of vitamin C on veins are believed to be stronger when vitamin C is consumed together with vitamin E, so next time you blend yourself a smoothie make sure you add Baobab powder, be sure to add a healthy source of vitamin E (such as walnuts) to the mix as well.
4. Baobab to Support the Detoxification Process
If your liver is not healthy, it will not be effective at detoxifying toxic substances and excreting them from your body. A high exposure to toxins such as chemicals, alcohol and many other substances can cause damage to the liver and limit its detoxifying capabilities, but luckily the water-based baobab extract was found to have significant protective effects against liver damage.
5. Baobab is a Powerhouse of Minerals
If you’re still not impressed by the health benefits of the baobab fruit, then consider this; using fresh baobab pulp in cooking or adding baobab powder to your favorite dishes can also supply your body with a boost of beneficial minerals including calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc. Minerals act both individually and synergistically to perform hundreds of tasks in the human body.
The following nutritional facts below, shows the approximate concentrations of the most important minerals found in 100 grams (3.5 oz) of fresh baobab pulp:
Calcium: 295 mg (or 30% of the Daily Value)
Copper: 1.6 mg (or 80% of the Daily Value)
Iron: 9.3 mg (or 52% of the Daily Value
Magnesium: 90 mg (or 23% of the Daily Value)
Potassium: 1240 mg (or 35% of the Daily Value)
Sodium: 27.9 (or 1% of the Daily Value)
Zinc: 1.8 mg (or 12% of the Daily Value)